Monday, October 31, 2011

The subject is one very close to the beating heart of any blooded mammal: death.

         Death makes me reflect on something that I had heard weeks ago- "Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. " (Steve Jobs, 2008). There is a statement in the book of Psalms that reads: "So teach us to number our days, that we may bet us a heart of wisdom." There is much truth in this statement. my days are numbered. When I realize that my days are numbered, I then become a living creature. I soar above the vein, the dogma, the minute. I have wisdom. Wisdom that says that I will die so I must live every second to the fullest! "…the nearness of death intensif[ies] every aspect of life."

         Knowing that I will die, knowing that my days are numbered, does not mean that I anticipate diminishment and sorrow; rather it makes me at peace with death. Being at peace with death slaughters the demon on my back and frees me. I know that I must live and live and live and live and live my life without bounds. At any minute the reaper will slit my throat and I am dirt! How I must never forget this!

         My dearest reader, I pray that you and I may be free from the burden that death is. I pray that we may open our eyes and realize that we are and that our days are numbered!

Signed,

Alexander Hatch Spencer



No comments:

Post a Comment